Wednesday 21 August 2024

This Quar's War - One and done, or a rather deep rabbit hole?

I've been a fan of This Quar's War for years. Those cute little anteater things with a WW1 vibe always appealed. The problem was they were a very niche game with a limited (none?) distribution in the UK, so if I wanted to play it I would need to get both sides and convince someone else to play. Unlikely.

However all this changed when Josh Qualtieri (Mr Quar) and Wargames Atlantic got together and released a starter set with multi part plastic figures. 

 


Except as I've grown older I've realised there is no point buying stuff if it never gets assembled, painted and played. I have a lot of projects on the go and some have stalled. So I decided to try and resist. 

But there was a problem. Rob H started posting pics of his Quar. Then he asked me to print some Quar bits he has picket up through Tribes\MMF as he doesn't have a printer. So I got to see some "in the flesh". Resistance was crumbling.

I read the rules - which are available as a free pdf btw from  Zombiesmith and I thought "maybe".

My reasoning is the rules are very low figure count - you can play with ten figures a side and that is pretty much all you need. There are two factions in the starter set, 12 figures a side. This could easily be a "One and Done" project - so why not?

So starter set bought. Split it with Paul D and assembled and painted my squad in a weekend. One and Done!

Played last night, thoroughly enjoyed it and now I'm looking for a few extras............................. 

My thoughts on the actual rules will follow but TLDR not bad at all


1 comment: