Sunday 22 July 2018

Double Barrel Russian? Warlord \ Zvezda SB2 Bomber for Blood Red Skies

I've picked up the Warlord Games SB2 Bomber box for Blood Red Skies - available from Warlord games for £20 from the Warlord shop or in my case from my local games store Asgard Wargames  where I got it for £18 and got a free cup of tea. Nice*.,


Now to avoid confusion I have to say the models are the EXACT same models as made by the Russian firm Zvezda for their Art of Tactic game, but reboxed with some supporting bits to make them usable for Blood Red Skies. This can cause some confusion if you didn't know.


In the new Warlord box you get a flight of three, plus Advantage Bases, Base extensions, skill disks and a stat card.

The models themselves are designed to be push fit \ snap together but I would strongly recommend using glue. They're made with what I would call standard plastic and go together very well. I only had one issue with assembly and that was the tail unit - TOP TIP - DRY FIT THESE FIRST to make sure you have then the right way up as the instructions seemed fuzzy to me. Other than that it was easy. You get the option of undercarriage in the up or down position -  I suppose for strict historical accuracy down would be OK as a large percentage of SB2s were lost on the ground in the first wave of Blitzkrieg attacks on the Russian airfields but mine are up so I can play them in BRS :-). Other than that the propellers are to scale, meaning they're probably going to snap off in use - so mine are being made pre snapped. There is also a fragile looking antenna underneath that I'm leaving on but more in hope than expectation of survival.

Next up - painting

* to be honest I had to make it myself but the facilities were there


No comments:

Post a Comment