Tuesday 28 August 2018

Medic!! A quick support option in Chain of Command

Pretty self explanatory really. Medics are used in Chain of Command to get your wounded leaders back in the fight - no-one cares about the other guys apparently. They are List 1 options so cost only 1 support point, and are damned useful to have around. Bolt Action also has a Medic option for your Platoon Command so its useful thing to have for both games.

The problem is finding suitable figures. That's not to say there are none, because there are quite a few available, but they tend to be full stretcher teams and the like, or available as part of a bigger pack with other figures I don't have much use for. What I wanted was just one guy.

Fortunately making \ converting a Medic for my Germans at Stalingrad is not a massive challenge. The German combat medic had a couple of easy identification points - mainly a white tabard and arm bands with red crosses and a bag to haul around his wares.

The tabard is beyond me - but then again was not always worn, particularly on the Ost Front where shooting at Medics was something of a sport. They also wore helmets either in white with different styles of red cross, or a standard helmet with more discrete markings - again because wearing a white helmet with a red cross on it is probably asking for trouble on some battlefields.

I put together a kneeling figure from the spare bits from my Warlord plastic Pioneers \ Early War infantry. The satchel came from the bits box - I think it was in the old Wargames Factory Zombie Hunters set, with a sling made from paper soaked in pva, the armbands are the same.


Painting was in my now standard quick and dirty early \ mid war scheme I have used for all my Stalingrad figures. I couldn't resist the white helmet option as it makes him stand out on the table a bit, which is nice for me visually but probably a bit of an issue for him - ah well, if the Russian snipers are shooting at him, they're not shooting at the Leaders I suppose.


I need to do a bit of touching up and dirty up the base to match the rest of the platoon, but I quite like him.



2 comments:

  1. Nice conversion Rendo
    cheers John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work
    We will just have to find out about whether he is a "sniper bullet attractor"

    ReplyDelete