Wednesday 25 December 2019

Merry Christmas! - War is back!

Just a thought based on some discussions at our local wargames club. There seems to be an over saturation of what I have called "Boutique" games - you know the type, small figure count, 3 foot table etc etc. Every month we see the next "Big Thing", which gets replaced in a month or so. I'm sensing a growing appetite for a return to "traditional" games with higher figure count, games where you can sweep your arm across a table full of models. Should I jump on board?

The problem of course is commitment. Playing a Grand Manner style game of say Napoleonics requires a metric sh!t ton* of figures - a dozen 36 man battalions is 436 figures - and even if you take the quick way (which I would) and have everyone in Greatcoat that's a major commitment of painting time. Then again, we have done it before, and relative cost of individual plastic figures for units is still cheap, the total cost is considerable.  Perry's are £20 a box of 40 ish figures - damned good value, but still an outlay of £200+ just on the infantry. As I said, commitment.

And I don't think I'm quite there yet. Hopefully 2020 will see the return of Impetus 2 to my gaming nights, and some more Chain of Command - both fairly "hefty" sized games. I'm also still deeply enamoured with Blood Red Skies (no surprise there).

Over the holidays I'm going to try and get my new WW2 Dutch Marines painted before I go back to work in the New Year - not much chance, but it wont get done unless I start, so tomorrow is going to be first steps - cleaning them up, and getting them stuck to their bases which will be 1p pieces - a sad reflection on the value of our currency when it is cheaper to use coins than plastic bases :-)

Cheers, and Merry Christmas 

* We are still using the metric system in the UK, however once Brexit is out the way I suspect we will shift back, so you will need an Imperial sh!t ton at that point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment