Tuesday 4 February 2020

BRS Finns

I've been thinking about starting a new nationality for Blood Red Skies. I already have "cough" several squadrons, British, German, Soviet, Japanese and some American, but I'm thinking of doing something a bit less mainstream. Choices were narrowed down to French, Italian, or Finns. Finns won out, mainly because I have some spare Soviet bombers that I can re-purpose, and could get some 3d printed fighters, so this was going to be a fairly low impact project, at least as far as my wallet is concerned.

I'm initially planning just two Squadrons - one fighters, one bombers. The bombers will be Tupelev  SB2s, a mix of Armaments in Miniature and Zvezda models. The Finns didn't have much of an aircraft industry and relied on either imported or captured models. In the case of the SB2s, they managed to recover and repair at least five Soviet SB2s over the period of the Winter War, and put them into service as maritime patrol and attack bombers. Later they "acquired" more via their then German allies who captured large numbers during Operation Barbarossa. This meant they used several different versions of SB2s, which gives me a good excuse to reuse those spare SB2s I had lying around without worrying too much about them being different models.



The fighters will be Brewster Buffalos. These are 3d prints provided unbidden by my regular opponent Paul. Yes I know I have been less than complementary about them in the past The Little Plane that Mostly Couldn't but ..........

Pics from Wings Palette

Decals will be the excellent ones from Misc Minis

I'll update as the project develops



 


No comments:

Post a Comment