Wednesday 20 May 2020

Battle Group Northag - Red3 Miniatures BTR

I was looking to fill the gaps in my Northag Soviets and generally scanning around for alternate models in 10/12mm when I heard a new company had entered the fray recently - Red3 Miniatures. They had some models that were not available elsewhere so I thought it would be interesting to put in a small order to check them out.

What I ordered was a BTR60 Command version, and some Gaz Jeeps . Turnaround was quick, and I have to say I am impressed with what I got.

Red3 BTR60PU and PSC BTR60PB comparison

Models are all white metal. Casting is clean and sharp with a minor sink hole on the rear of one of them which I expect will be invisible to the eye when in use.

The BTR60 Command looks to be a BTR60 PU minus the frame aerial. Having assembled a 15mm version of this particular machine I can understand why they decided to omit the aerial in 10mm - or it could be one of the many sub variants. The model itself comes in 2 parts - the hull and the turret \ generator \ aerial. The 2 part thing seems an excellent idea as it allows the model to share the hull with the standard BTR60 PB personnel carrier with a straight turret swap. Detail and proportion are excellent. All in all it is a very nice model.

The BTR60PU is probably a bit higher up the food chain than you would usually see on a Northag table and you wont need many - mine will be a Battlegroup Tac Command hauling around my ECM capability.

Will it mix with PSC? Not wishing to open the "10 mm isn't a scale" argument but the Red3 model is marginally bigger than the PSC ones, but I expect once they're  on table they will mix well enough.

All in all I like these - and expect I will be picking some other  models from them.

Check them out here : Red3 Miniatures

1 comment: