Monday 25 May 2020

The Rotterdam Project Part 5 - Roadblock

The whole lockdown thing has meant I've been flitting about gaming projects even more than normal, as there is no particular rush to finish anything for an upcoming game. One of the casualties has been the "almost" finished Dutch for 1940 Chain of Command which I got mostly done just before lockdown. Mostly. I was short some roadblocks, a few entrenchments, that sort of thing.

When lockdown was announced I was just about ready to order some pre made barricades, but then in all the uncertainty I decided to try scratch-building a barricade myself. Only a couple of problems, one of which was I was not sure what one would look like (!).

Luckily google came to my aid, unearthing this pic of a Dutch squad heading out (or back) through a rural roadblock.


It's a fascinating picture because it tells an interesting story. This is clearly a well thought out obstacle, not a hastily felled tree, and the more I looked at it, the more I liked the idea of copying it - "Play the Period" and all that. The other advantage was I thought this would be a minimum cost build - and so it was.

I initially went for a short constitutional walk, coincidentally bending down every now and then to pick up some likely looking twigs. When I got home and in the cold light of day I realised I could do just as well with some off-cut dowel, and was less likely to get any suspicious creepy crawlies coming out of the woodwork. I also stole a couple of the cats' chew sticks (sorry guys) for the main trees. After that it was just a case of sticking everything together. That took about half an hour. Then I put it off to one side to dry - and forgot about it. Yesterday I was casting about for something to do and saw the roadblock, and got it painted up in short notice. I'm quite happy with how it worked out. Obviously not quite the same as the original, but recognisable. The idea is it will sit on the road rather than being an extra road section.


It may be a bit too rural to really fit the Rotterdam theme, but it will do for now.
 

1 comment: