Tuesday 29 December 2020

Why all the hate? Warlord games "Epic Scale" ACW




Warlord Games have sprung a bit of a surprise recently by announcing their new "15mm" American Civil War range for their "Black Powder" game. The fanfare accompanying the announcement was well coordinated, including a free sprue of miniatures on the front of January's Wargame Illustrated - available now in December for reasons which I don't really understand. I grabbed one and I like what I see.

The main bullet points are these are hard plastic, and instead of individual figures the infantry are strips of ten men standing shoulder to shoulder. Each sprue has ten such strips - one Command, then a mix of two other infantry strips. The sprue also includes a gun and crew, and a mounted officer. So each has 100 infantry and a gun and crew. Both sides are getting the same sprue but on release the Union will be coloured blue, the Confederates Grey as I understand it.

The announcement has been followed by a large amount of hostile posts in the online wargaming community. These posts have broken down into a couple of broad themes, mainly "proprietary scale" and "wrong" equipment. 

The scale thing does have some validity from a certain point of view. The nominal size in the press releases is 15mm. 15mm is a traditional and industry size (not scale) and very popular for ACW due to games like the excellent "Fire and Fury". The issue is that these figures are 13.5mm foot to eye, 15mm to top if head \ hat. That puts them distinctly on the small side - they're not compatible with other "15mm" which tend towards 15mm foot to eye, indeed some are stretching to 18mm. I can't work out why Warlord bothered to mention it to be honest, but it does give plenty of ammunition to anyone wanting to call "foul". If they had said "Epic" scale and leave it at that then I'm sure there would be (slightly) less uproar.

The equipment thing is also a bit more valid. The sprue is going to be the same for both sides - i.e. the only difference is going to be paint. The figures are dressed in a mix of headgear - kepi and slouch hat on the same strip. OK this isn't strictly correct according to the manuals, however it isn't a big stretch of the imagination to say they would and could be mixed headgear on campaign. 

All this is missing the point I think. For those of us who are complaining they don't fit with our current collections, IT ISNT MEANT TO! Love them or loath them this is Warlord making a product to fit their Black Powder range and for that game only. It's a bit like complaining that your draughts pieces are the wrong shape to play chess with. 

The real issue here is just how damned good they look. I love Fire and Fury, and similar ACW games, and played them extensively in 15mm. The problem is no matter what basing scheme you use your representation of a Regiment \ Brigade \ Battalion or whatever always broke down to looking like a half dozen bases with three or four figures on each - like those episodes of Sharpe on TV when thirty guys are pretending to be the whole South Essex battalion. The visual effect you get with these with 20 figures on a 60mm base is bloody good. I'm looking hard at Regimental Fire and Fury - and indeed other rules like Sharp Practice where the main bases are elements, and wondering how they will play using these Warlord Epic bases instead. 


It's not just the figure count by the way. The shoulder to shoulder nature of the strips means these do look far more like a close order infantry formation than just about anything we have seen (excluding maybe 2-3mm blocks) because with "traditional" single based figures you struggle to get the impression of ranks and close order no matter how many you stick to your base.

I'm aware this is starting to sound like an advert so I will chuck a couple of criticisms in. The decision to use just one sprue for both sides isn't a good one. I can see why, but an all kepi sprue, or even a sprue with all the troops in a strip in uniform headgear would have been much more preferable. I'm also frowning at the decision to release the supporting models in "Warlord Resin" - the bendy resin that has been used on several Warlord projects now with mixed results. I don't like the idea of trying to clean up figures this small in that material. At all. I'm also unsure how good cavalry will look - I'm looking at the bases and thinking there will only be 5 to a base (assuming the bases are universal - which seems to be the case).

However that said I'm chucking my money at this. The starter set has literally thousands of infantry (2400 to be precise, and 24 guns) in there for an RRP of £90 that's amazing value -  the idea of representing units in 1-1 is do-able if you feel the urge. I've no idea how Black Powder plays, but I'm pretty sure it wont be beyond the wit of man to work out a way of using these for Fire and Fury or whatever, ether as a straight base for base swap or a 2 for 1 with the odd half base chucked in to deal with odd numbered units. Let's be honest, with figures this cheap you can easily justify the wastage that you would incur carving the strips in half if you wanted.

So there is my initial thoughts on this new Warlord "thing". I'm sure that if this works, like with the original 28mm plastic ranges, this will grow and grow, with AWI and Napoleonics being obvious candidates for the "Epic" treatment. 

13 comments:

  1. My thoughts exactly! Thankfully ACW isn't a period that I want to do so my bank balance has been spared but if I was planning a new project this would be the way to go. A friend has painted up one of the freebie sprues from WI and they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you say it does not fit into existing collections, but that does not mean it is not a good game or scale in itself. Certainly for a new into the period or a "reboot-restart" it looks good - the generic both sides the same but paint them a different colour seems as a bit of economy of production to make the project viable, a compromise but not a show stopper - besides "there's thousands of them!".

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the article. I figured its 2 1/4 bases in F&F, to me its more about a column being 60mm wide. it screws with roads and bridges and such.

    I do agree about how much more it looks "real", especially since a lot of 15mm games look less real, with the 2-3 figs per base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. Yes I think there will be a need for half bases to allow players to use some rules. I wonder if anyone has suggested this to Warlord?

      Delete
  4. Nice write up! I know this hooked me in. I've ordered pre-ordered a box and some terrain. I also ordered about 600 more troops and cav from Kallistra as the scale seems to be spot on. This should give me some variety to break up the monotony of the single sprue and give some period feel to the table in skirmishing units. Excited to get mine. I've also ordered the Fire and Fury rules because I'm not sure I'm sold on Black Powder rules.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was not real sure on the scale as it fit in with almost no other line. Until I found Kallistra mins. Supposed to be 12mm but a bit beefy and work well enough with the Warlords stuff. Also they are all metal which fits my preferences better as I hate that brittle resin stuff paint never seems to stick to. As for the hat problem, just got a sharp hobby knife and trimmed the brims on the yanks to all Kepis. Not a big fan of Black Powder rules (prefer Napoleons Battles for Napoleonics) but like the figs. The shoulder to shoulder look is much like the old 10mm Warmaster stuff from GW back in the day (go figure)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice article! I’ve pre ordered the large preorder and have, just, ordered the cavalry, zouavres and iron brigade sets. I will let you know about the resin figures. It’s forcing me to use google but I don’t use it (you had to have it for apps when I first got a cell phone) so I won’t get replies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I purchased the starter set and I am happy with it. Fairly easy to paint and includes lots of flags. I have wanted to play Black Powder for a while, and this is much more affordable than 28mm. The starter set includes terrain (building and fencing) and I see that cavalry units are now available. Thanks for your write up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments. To my shame mine are still unpainted - too many projects not enough time. Hopefully soon....

      Delete