Friday 9 February 2024

Hornblower?? Royal Navy Landing Party for Sharp Practice

I was looking at another blog (see the follow list over there on the right somewhere) and saw the guy had put up a list of current projects. "That's a good idea" I thought, so I pinched it. Then I needed to put some detail in and that's when I realised I still had some work to do.

I was asked to do a demo of Sharp Practice for one of the guys in the club. I only have AWI Yankees (interesting aside, this is I think the only American force I have properly built for any game system, other than for demo purposes. I think that makes me Antiseptic in Cockney Rhyming Slang !). Anyway I dusted them off, got on the table and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Inspired I decided to run through the list and see what else I needed. Not a lot is the answer - well ok that's never actually true but the only real gaps in the AWI were deployment points. Still working on that.

OK nothing to do with Hornblower so far but I'm getting there. A while ago I tried to run a Sharp Practice campaign based around the Penobscot Expedition - there will be some posts from pre Covid days somewhere. I thoroughly enjoyed it, thanks mainly to the excellent roleplaying by Paul,  Dave, Malcolm and Mark. The campaign fizzled out as these things do, however as part of the prep I had bought some armed sailors from Perrys, and sort of went OTT and got some Napoleonic Royal Marines as well. Then I went through a very non productive phase and ended up handing the sailors off to the talented Andy Parkes to paint. Looking at the Marines I think I will have to sweet talk him to do those as well - I cant paint red to save my life!

I already have a scratch gun crew with a naval gun, and yes, I painted them myself. I will now start looking for some Naval Officers ........ and then I can go and do heroic things to Old Boney's Empire.

Going to need a suitably risque name for my main Officer \ Character in true SP fashion though - any suggestions?  

No comments:

Post a Comment