Wednesday 14 February 2024

Hornblower update - a bit of a rethink

My initial thoughts on the makeup of my Naval Landing Party for Sharp Practice were as follows:

1 unit of 3 bases of 8 Royal Marines

1 unit of 6 skirmishing sailors with muskets

1 unit of 12 sailors with mixed weapons - boarding pikes, pistols etc.

1 Light gun and crew - I have a couple of bullocks to stand in as a limber team

The Marines were to be classed the same as normal British Line troops. The skirmishing sailors as Irregular skirmishers, and the other sailors as "Tribal" massed infantry with tomahawks as suggested on the Lard Island forum. So far so good. The sizes of the units is based more on what is available in the blisters from Perry Miniatures as much as anything else.

I've been rethinking this a bit. The proportions feel a bit wrong, particularly the preponderance of Marines over sailors, so I an thinking about a reshuffle. I'll reduce the Marines to only 2 bases of Marines and possibly using the excess to form a unit of skirmishers (Do RMs train as skirmishers???), and adding a second group of both musket armed sailors and melee types. That will change the mix up a bit and give me some options for some support points. This is all dependent on Andy Parkes agreeing to paint some more figures to match the ones he already has done, but he is a Fine Chap so I have some hope there.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment