Saturday 13 July 2024

100 Hour Challenge


I'm doing a BRS Participation \ Demo game next Saturday 20th July at Pendraken Miniatures in Middlesbrough.

That's the theory anyway. I had intended to do a "Bog Standard" demo with the Midway starter set, but as I was surfing youtube I was struck by a series of coincidences that made me change my mind and try something different. 

To some nations football is important. As an Englishman I'm quite embarrassed that England (men) have won the square root of Bugger All in my lifetime. OK not quite, I was six months old in 1966 but you get the idea. The English supporters anthem "Three Lions on your Shirt" included the line "30 years of hurt, never stopped me dreaming" and that was released in 1996 for the European Championships where we almost made it. They usually release the bloody song every championship but have to change the line. Its probably "58 years of hurt" now. As England are playing in the European Finals tomorrow, football is on my mind.

July 20th 1969 marked the end of the "100 Hour War" between El Salvador and Honduras. It's also known as the "Football War" or "Soccer War" as it started after a series of rather hostile World Cup qualifying matches between the two Nations. Neither side are happy with the football associated name for the conflict as it was about rather more than a footie match and prefer the 100 Hour War - so I'm going with that.

The other interesting fact was that the war involved the last dogfights between piston engine fighters. It really marked the end of the prop fighter era.

So that's the plan - do a BRS Demo \ Participation game based on the 100 Hour War, and to make it spicy, try and do the whole project in under 100 hours. 


No comments:

Post a Comment