Monday 8 July 2024

Sharp Practice Naval Landing Party - Safe in the Harbour at Last (almost)

Almost done now so I thought I would update on this project. This was one of those side projects that has taken quite a while to complete. I say complete but in truth there are still a couple of elements missing - more later.

So anyway let's introduce the crew of His Majesty's Frigate Venus

First up the senior officers. Most of these are unnamed as of yet, but that will come. Left to Right our Gallant Commander (who I now realise probably needs an epaulette but there are loads of them spare in the plastic kits), unnamed Bosun and Midshipman Poopdekker, Sally to his friends

Next the other leaders, a hatless Midshipman (who may actually just be a sailor originally but he looked so damned "Sharp" that I thought he needs promoting), and a Marine Officer

Speaking of the Marines, here they are. Two groups in close order, and one skirmishing.


Next up the Jolly Jack Tars - Two groups of skirmishers and two large groups of sailors with mixed weapons.

Lastly the gunners. Although there are two guns here the plan is to only use one (if any) and swap out the gun to represent different sizes of cannon.

And the group shot

So putting these together and getting some pics has highlighted some shortfalls. Firstly I probably need an option of junior leader for the Marine skirmishers. That's a bit of a pain as there are no really suitable figures except some of the firing line types which have extra braid on their shoulders. I'll see what can be done with one of them. I'll also need a Deployment Point - I'm thinking of a Rum Cask and a Marine guard but while I think it sounds good I don't think it makes much narrative sense. Will have a think.

The Venus's are an interesting force. Theyre going to lack any sort of staying power but I think they will be ok as a raiding unit, which I think seems reasonable. Time will tell :-)

2 comments: