Sunday 14 July 2024

100 Hours War Part 2 - 16 hours down 84 to go

So a quick update.

Having decided to commit to trying to complete the whole thing in 100 hours I've made a start. I've spent two hours on some basic research (!) to get the idea what was needed, followed up with another two hours nailing the scenario plans down. I was greatly assisted by Rob Hymer who when I mentioned it, loaned me his copy of THE book on the conflict, which is now OOP. Cheers Rob!



Next step was to get the models printed. I was OK with the Corsairs - Planeprinter has several versions and although none are spot on, there's two that will do. The vanilla P51Ds are again quite easy, Planeprinter has them. The fly in the ointment is the Mustang IIs. For the uninitiated these are P51s that were modernised and configured for Counter Insurgency (COIN) operations. For this they have a slightly higher tail, bigger canopy and wingtip fuel tanks, plus some hardpoints. I reached out to Roger Gerrish who is a Gent and good at the technical stuff and after some discussion he rushed off and added some droptanks to the wings of the P51 stl - its not perfect, and I know he's the sort of bloke who would rather do the job properly, but with the wing tanks they look fine and only rivet counters will know the difference. I suspect he will finish a "proper" model in the near future.

In theory all ten models I will need (6 F4U and 2 each of P51 and F51) will print on one run. Sadly the first attempt failed and I've had to mess around running it again. That's another ten hours gone.



    

No comments:

Post a Comment